“A GOOD DESIGN. . . SHOULD ONLY EXPRESS ONE IDEA AT A TIME”


Hi all! Lin here :) I recently went to the MET Museum to see the exhibition of British-born fashion designer Charles James: Beyond Fashion. The pieces on display consist of ball gowns and dinner dresses from the 40’s and 50’s. The dresses are a dime a piece, super chic, with little or no embellishments. The details on the dresses were carefully designed to mold a woman’s hourglass figure. As showcased on the screens placed by each ball gown, James used “sculptural, scientific, and mathematical approaches to construct” the dresses.



There was a quote written by James on one of the glass walls of the exhibit that resonated with me. It echoed James’ fashion-nerdy fascination with detail: Cut in dressmaking is like grammar in language. A good design should be like a well-made sentence and it should only express one idea at a time.”

This quotation immediately reminded me of the Duchess of Cambridge…No, not because James and Kate Middleton are British…Kate wears elegant pieces of clothing. The elegance can be seen through the meticulous details of each piece: carefully measured, cut, sewed, and stitched. Like James’ designs, they are unembellished and chic. Kate just adds the finishing touch by wearing her pieces, oh so gracefully. I’m certain that James would agree with me!

To my surprise, the Time magazine gave tribute to Kate’s fashion evolution a few days before I visited the MET. Below are a few of my favorite Kate Middleton looks: 



This pink Emilia Wick-stead dress and hat remind me of the strawberry pink Chanel suit and hat Jackie Kennedy wore the day her husband was assassinated.






Not a fan of her dress in the picture below, but a fan of Prince William’s courtesy J


** Remember ladies, sometimes less is more. I’m referring to embellishments and patterns not nudity ;)

Until next time ladies!

Love, 
Lin

No comments:

Post a Comment